CHA requires all employees to be vaccinated for COVID-19. Individuals may request exemption from the vaccine requirement for medical or religious reasons.
Date Posted: 12/01/2022
Requisition Number: 917
Location: CHA Everett Hospital
Work Days: Fri, Sat, Sun, Mon, Tues 7:30 a.m.-4 p.m./ Wed and Thur off
Category: Clerical and Administrative Support
Department: IT Communications
Job Type: Full time
Work Shift: Day
Union Name: SEIU 1199
Your colleagues are a progressive, innovative, fast-paced and dynamic information technology, health information management, library and training team supporting a vibrant health system that serves everyone in need.
Under the general supervision of the Communications Center Supervisor and within established Cambridge Health Alliance and departmental policies and procedures, Communications Center Operator performs routine, emergency and special communications procedures using PC based telephone and data programs to support all CHA hospitals, health centers & administrative offices. Operators handle telephone inquiries from patients, community at large and CHA clinicians and staff and provide accurate information and/or telephone transfer services to the appropriate person or department. Communications Center Operator accesses on-line directories, on-call schedules, policies and procedures; assists in locating physicians and staff within a fast paced centralized Communications Center. Essential job functions include greeting customers over the telephone with a professional and helpful attitude, accurately handling time sensitive communications requests, efficiently using resources, demonstrating a high level of team work, paying attention to detail, and processing multiple tasks between different functions.
• Telephone inquiries for CHA Hospitals, health centers and administrative offices performed within department guidelines based on statistical measurements obtained routinely from Xtend, Automatic Call Distribution (ACD) or other relevant manual or automated measurements
to include voice recorder systems for quality and training purposes.
• Must follow quality standards as established by the department; e.g. must be logged into the system at all times while not on breaks, must follow appropriate operator script and techniques for placing a call on hold or transferring a call, etc.
• Respond to a variety of customer routine and special telephone requests that requires real time problem solving; refers difficult or complex requests to Communications Center Lead Operator or supervisor; able to listen well and exhibit patience while deciphering requests from non-English speaking customers.
• Locate physicians and staff members without delay by telephone, overhead paging or radio paging per established on-line protocols; following IT problem reporting procedures as prescribed.
• Accurately and promptly following clinical and administrative emergency communications procedures in response to customer request for Code-99 medical staff assistance, alarms including Code Yellow fire, medical gas, panic, elevator, intrusion and others as required involving both manual and on-line procedures.
• Read, understand and implement relevant CHA and departmental specific policies and procedures and stay current with changes implemented in the Center; referring discrepancies to Lead or Supervisor; required daily check of email and bulletin board notices to receive important operational updates and special requests.
• Maintain accurate directory and associated confidential information in the Xtend system including entering, modifying on-line on-call schedules and making real-time changes to beeper units via an on-line web based system.
• Maintain accurate records for on-call schedules for clinical and administrative departments (i.e.: surgery, Administrator-On-Call, orthopedics) and notify supervisor immediately of incomplete or inaccurate information.
• Assist customer over the phone in conducting basic diagnostic procedures on beeper pager equipment and perform on-line, real time, replacement procedures of malfunctioning units or new pager assignments.
• Demonstrate flexibility from time to time in their work schedule and a commitment to the smooth operation of the Communications Center Department.
• Adheres to proper dress code, attendance and absenteeism policy.
• Completes educational and training requirements as per department and CHA policy.
• Performs other related duties as assigned or directed.
High School diploma or equivalent. Able to read and write English and follow instructions.
1 year experience operating computerized telephone operator switchboard equipment and personal computer with 6 months having been in direct customer service interaction (via telephone) in a fast-paced, high pressure service environment preferred; familiar with beeper paging units.
In keeping with federal, state and local laws, Cambridge Health Alliance (CHA) policy forbids employees and associates to discriminate against anyone based on race, religion, color, gender, age, marital status, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, veteran status, disability or any other characteristic protected by law. We are committed to establishing and maintaining a workplace free of discrimination. We are fully committed to equal employment opportunity. We will not tolerate unlawful discrimination in the recruitment, hiring, termination, promotion, salary treatment or any other condition of employment or career development. Furthermore, we will not tolerate the use of discriminatory slurs, or other remarks, jokes or conduct, that in the judgment of CHA, encourage or permit an offensive or hostile work environment.