Practice Medical Receptionist
Department: Psych Gen Support Staff
Job Type: Full Time
Job Class: Union
Union Name: CHLABOR -Laborers Local 380
Work Shift: Day/Evening with Variable Start Time
Work Days: 8.5 hrs each day
Date Posted: 01/16/2019
Requisition Number: hrq-86587
Under the supervision of the Operations Supervisor, and in accordance with established policies and procedures, performs a wide range of administrative and secretarial functions allowing for effective patient care. The Adult OPD at Central Street handles a large volume of outpatient appointments each day, some days in excess of 600 visits.
1. Greets departmental visitors to ensure accurate and timely departmental communication and the presentation of Department of Psychiatry in a positive manner to patients. Works to ensure a positive patient experience for all patients.
2. Completes registration of the patient in Epic thoroughly and accurately according to protocol.
3. Prepares appropriately for computer downtime.
4. Uses the overhead paging, as well as X-tend paging system when clinicians keep patients waiting more than 10 minutes beyond appointment time.
5. Handles patient-billing problems effectively; consults with Operations Supervisor as needed.
6. Collects cash payments and provides patient with accurate receipt.
7. Checks Insurance card at every visit, running patient information through Passport for eligibility check.
8. Obtains taxies and chair cars for patients as well as other courtesies for patients.
9. Schedules new and follow-up appointments for patients within an appropriate time frame, responding to messages from clinicians sent to SPS Scheduling.
10. Assists patients, and providers, with lab appointments that need to be scheduled downstairs with Union Square Family Health.
11. Places reminder calls to patients on a daily basis.
12. Notifies patients of schedule/appointment changes in a timely manner.
High School Diploma; Associates Degree preferred.
One-year of work experience - preferably in a medical setting, or certification from a Medical Assistant Program.
Portuguese speaker preferred.